Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Man Has Arrived

He is here.  The waiting is finally over.  Jaxon Grant Wein made his timely arrival on Tuesday, August 2nd, at 7:20am weighing 7 lbs. 9 oz. and 20.5 inches long.  Everything went extremely smooth during the c-section.  We were discharged from the hospital just close to 38 hours after surgery.  Jax is doing fantastic and I am recovering slowly but surely.  Here's the tale of how Jax came into the world.....

We arrived at the hospital promptly at 5am.  If you know me, you know that I am a very punctual person.  It's almost borderline OCD.  After getting barely any sleep the night before, we were still bright eyed and bushy tailed upon exiting the elevator to the 8th floor womens center at Helen Ellis Memorial Hospital.  We were greeted by smiling faces and nurses that were just as excited as we were since "one of their own" was going to be having a baby.  We were escorted to our post-partum room to drop off our belongings as I was going to prepped and pre-op'd in the recovery room.  I walked into our room (room 808, same one we had with Ava) and I found a beautiful arrangement of blue carnations and a card that made me cry.  My mom somehow managed to have that there waiting for us - so sweet.

We got to the recovery room and I got my gown on and into the bed and hooked up to the monitors whilst my husband was vibrating, on his 2nd cup of coffee and would not simmer down with his nervous chatter.  He was on top of the world.  He actually started my IV for me and got the fluids going while we were already having visitors from his co-workers, partners and other anesthesiologists from the hospital.  It was near shift-change time so the new onset of nurses came in to say hello as well and express their excitement for us.  (They are ALL seriously awesome and I just love them.)  My dad also arrived minutes before we went into surgery.  Here's a photo of us in pre-op just waiting for the big event.
The time finally arrived for me to walk into the OR.  Yes I said walk.  It's kind of like feeling like you're walking the green mile.  I think I must have left my body walking into there because I was sooooo nervous I just kind of blanked out.  I was most scared of getting the spinal.  I climbed up onto the table and I remember telling Mark (my spinal guy) NOT to look at my butt, haha.  You see, Mark is my husband's partner and he and his wife Brenda and their kids are like family to us.  I was trying to joke around to try and comfort myself a little bit.  The spinal went in flawlessly without any parasthesias (an electrical-shock feeling that shoots down one leg which occurs in most spinals).  So major kudos to Mark for that one.  My wonderful doctor Dr. Watson had come in and was holding/rubbing my shoulders as well to help comfort me since she knew I was nervous.  Once the spinal was in I could slowly feel that tingly sensation starting at my feet and climbing upwards.  Everyone was great - they were all talking me through it and before I knew it my legs were being lifted onto the table and I could not feel them anymore.  The first 5 minutes of the spinal taking effect were a bit nerve-wracking.  It felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest and I almost felt like I was going to throw-up.  Apparently that means I got a REALLY good spinal.  After that initial 5 minutes, it was pretty much smooth sailing.  I felt tugging, pushing, pulling all while joking with Bobby, Mark and the dr.'s and nurses.   And then all of a sudden Bobby announces to me, "here he comes" and he stood up and took the following picture......


Hmmmm I wonder how he's gonna feel about this picture in about 12 years.  And here is his proud daddy cutting his cord....
Here's a shot of me with Mark aka "Jamarcus" as I like to call him (but he hates it, lol) - he does great spinals!
I'll finish this post with pictures...they tell the story better than I could :-)
Meeting my son for the first time
Mom & Dad checking him out

Kisses for the little guy - his skin was so soft

Picture with our son

Momma's boy

Ava brought me flowers, my sweet little princess

Saying hi to little brother

Giving him kisses before she bolted off to play with the new toy he brought her

Momma with her two precious babies

First diaper change :-)

Ava looking at her baby brother and saying, "awww he's so cute"
We have been home for about a week now and all is going well.  Jax sleeps in 3-4 hour increments at night which is a dream!  Neither Bobby or I are sleep deprived.  Ava is adjusting well, she is gentle with her brother and gives him hugs and kisses all the time.  She also says, "I love you, baby Jax" which melts our hearts every time.  I am relishing every.single.moment of this since we won't be having any more little ones.  I closed up the baby-maker while they were in there for surgery.

Happy one-week birthday to my little dude- Mommy, Daddy and Sissy love you sooooo much and are so very happy that you are finally here!!


moderndaywife said...

Beautiful post for a beautiful baby boy! I love him already! Those pictures of you three right after he was born are so sweet :-)

Mrs. W. said...

Beautiful! Your pictures made me all teary-eyed. :)


Steph said...

I am so excited for you! Congrats!!!